The iconic Eisler Brothers Store is located in Riverton, Kansas on the 11 miles of Route 66 which run through Kansas. The Eisler Brothers Store is a combination of convenience store and deli. The store has been in continuous operation since 1925, which is before Route 66 existed. Hence, it is one of many Route 66 attractions which were created either before or after the actual Route 66 highway existed.
The original owner of the store was Leo Williams. The store was known as as the Williams Store during this era. Leo and Lora Williams ran the store until 1945 when they leased the grocery to Lloyd Paxson. Leo died in 1948, so when the Paxson lease expired, Lora returned to the store and operated it until about 1970. Joe and Isabell Eisler of Allen, Texas, purchased the business in 1973. It has continued to operate as a grocery and deli, just as it had, with very little changes in its decor. The store was managed for the Eisler's by their nephew, Scott Nelson. Scott purchased the store March 31, 2011 from the estate of the Eisler's. Scott is the President of the Route 66 Association of Kansas.
The Eisler Brothers Store still operates as a shopping place for the small community of Riverton, as well as for travelers on Route 66. It was nationally familiar in its early days, because this Southeast corner of Kansas literally tied 66 together. Today it is internationally known as one of the most authentic, still working 75-year-old stores of its kind on Route 66. It has groceries, produce, flowers, an old time Deli serving excellent sandwiches; gifts, lots of Route 66 memorabilia and the friendliness of Yesterday.
Route 66 through Kansas is only 11 miles. From the Eisler Brothers Store it is 4.8 miles to Missouri and 6.5 miles to Oklahoma. The Eisler Brother Store could easily advertise as "the only Route 66 food in Kansas."
The Eisler Brothers Old Riverton Store is on National Register of Historic Places.
Eisler Brothers Store web site.